RTI Action Update
Register now and receive our monthly newsletter for up-to-date information on RTI.Register now »
Response to Intervention: A Research Review
The purpose of the Research Support for Response to Intervention section is to present a summary of the nature and extent of published research conducted on Response to Intervention (RTI) to assist the reader in making informed judgments about the evidence base for RTI. To that end, we have identified studies examining the efficacy of RTI programs as well as research focusing on typical components used in the RTI process.
Although essential components of RTI programs are presented and described in more detail in the Include Essential Components section, we present them here to establish the parameters of our review. These components include: a) Universal screening for all students to determine their status against academic and social benchmarks; b) Scientifically based instruction for all students (Tier 1); c) Secondary prevention interventions (Tier 2) for students not responding adequately to Tier 1 instruction; d) Monitoring student progress, and e) Tertiary prevention instruction (Tier 3) for students making insufficient progress in response to Tier 2 instruction.
Based on our analysis of existing research and the component analysis above, we have broken our review, and thus this section, into several articles. These articles will include reviews of the following:
- Field studies of RTI programs/models;
- Procedures for selecting scientifically based instruction/curricula used in Tier 1;
- Studies of the technical adequacy of universal screening measures used in Tier 1;
- Studies of secondary and tertiary interventions within the context of an RTI framework;
- Studies of the technical adequacy of progress-monitoring procedures used across tiers, and
- Studies of the methods for identifying those who have not achieved the desired results in response to the interventions used at the different tiers.
Read Field Studies of RTI Programs/Models, Selecting a Scientifically Based Core Curriculum for Tier 1, Universal Screening Within A Response-To-Intervention Model and Progress Monitoring Within a Response-to-Intervention Model now. Additional articles will be posted on a regular basis.
Back To Top